Floor-grazing maxi dresses have been one of the hottest looks for summer because they are fabulous, simple, and comfortable too? Think these voluminous gowns aren’t for curvy women? Think again. It’s all about finding the right shape to emphasize your best features.
For everyone, the most important thing to look for in a maxi dress is structure. All of these dresses have a lot of material so it’s important that it enhances your shape instead of making it look like you’re wearing a sack. Look for dresses with details, lining, and non-clingy fabrics.
Here’s how to find the most flattering plus size maxi dresses for apple shapes and hourglass figures plus maxi dresses with sleeves. Keep reading at the bottom for the big maxi dress don’t!
1. Hourglass Figures look for:
- A waist-highlighting bodice and/or neckline
- Flowing skirt to enhance curves
- Pleating or gathering at the waist to ensure that the dress is not clingy or revealing.
- FELICITY & COCO Stripe Strapless Maxi Dress
- ASOS Curve Wrap Front Maxi Dress
- Chevron Print Chiffon Maxi Dress
- Queen of the Wildflowers Dress
2. Apple Shapes look for:
- Interesting or lower necklines
- Wider straps that balance out for your heavier upper half.
- Tummy-skimming empire waistlines.
- Straight skirts over A-line, which add visual weight at the bottom.
- Hemlines or skirts that show off your legs.
- Tropical Vibes Slit Maxi Dress – Empire waist with a leg-revealing slit.
- Lace Hi-Lo Maxi Dress – Show off those gams!
- City Chic ‘Santorini’ Twist Front Strapless Maxi Dress – Empire waist plus a hint of leg.
- City Chic One-Shoulder Dress – Belt it for a pop of color and a more fitted silhouette. It’s also available in bolder pattern options.
3. Plus Size Maxi Dresses with Sleeves
If you prefer to keep your upper arms under cover, there are maxi dresses with sleeves available. Or, pair the maxi of your choice with a bolero or shrug. They come in handy anytime you’re wearing a dress or tank and add a layer of sophistication.
- Soulful Sound Waves Dress – Just add a belt.
- Joan Maxi Dress in Black – Casual and formal depending on your accessories.
- Belted Mitered Striped Maxi Dress – Optical illusion.
- IGIGI Avril Floral Maxi Dress with Shrug – That flattering empire waistline plus a matching shrug.4.
4. Maxi Dress Don’t
My pet peeve about maxi dresses if the combination of no pleating and clingy fabrics. You’ve seen this right? The result is major jiggle, jiggle, jiggle from the rear view. Hey, we all got it but that doesn’t mean anybody should see it. A great maxi dress will make you feel like you’re naked in the summer heat but you shouldn’t look like it too.
The right dress structure and a structured fabric will ensure a dress isn’t overly revealing. Check the back and even better, get some critical feedback from a trusted friend.