By the number of maxi posts, you know we love them for summer but not everyone feels that way. Jezebel’s Sarah Miller wrote an anti-maxi dress manifesto declaring that:
Maxi dresses look bad on everyone.
Really, apple shapes shouldn’t be wearing maxis because they conceal the feature that should be highlighted – legs. Hourglass figures can make it work but be sure to look for dresses with fitted tops. What’s better though is the ultra flattering fit and flare instead.
This classic dress style is best suited for hourglass shapes and really makes the most of your curves, emphasizing a small waist and exaggerating the feminine silhouette. This dress style comes in formal and casual, vintage and modern, subtle and bold designs, strapless and with sleeves. Check out some of our favorite plus size fit and flare dresses. Also look for skater or swing dresses to get a similar shape.
- Kiyonna Peek-A-Boo Perfection Dress – With an empire waist, this style works for apple shapes too.
- Chi Chi London Plus Metallic Embroidered Bandeau Dress
- IGIGI Tamara Dress
- Adrianna Papell Floral Print Chiffon Fit & Flare Dress
- Unique Vintage 1950s Style Navy Blue Three-Quarter Sleeve Diana Fit & Flare Dress
- Pull Up a Cherry Dress in White
- IGIGI Kara Dress in Prism
- Calvin Klein Plus Size Sleeveless Colorblock Dress